Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

Baking weather is here!


     I find Fall in the High Desert to be the most delightful season of all. Leaves turn yellow, the California buckwheat is in bloom, and temperatures drop into the low 70's. I am no longer wilting from the heat of summer, and I find energy and inspiration to do many of my favorite things. On a crisp, cool morning you will often find me baking dessert or something for the next days breakfast. Recently, my daughter Georgia and I baked some blueberry scones. They turned out so good, I thought you would like to have the recipe. They make a lovely gift for friends or neighbors. I almost always double the recipe and share, because if you are going to make one, it is just as easy to make two so you can bless someone else. I kept one for my family to enjoy, and gave one to my dear friend Vicki for her birthday. Don't be overwhelmed by the idea of baking scones, they are a quick bread and easy enough for a beginning baker. I promise!


Blueberry scones with buttermilk glaze
2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup of room temperature butter
3/4 cup room temperature buttermilk
1 cup dried or frozen blueberries
For glaze:
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in butter until it is in pea sized pieces. Add buttermilk and gently stir until it becomes a ball of dough. Place dough on a floured surface and add fruit, kneading just until you have incorporated the fruit. Divide into 2 balls. Place each ball onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and pat down until it is about 2 inches high. Use a knife to cut the discs of dough into half, then in half again. You don't want to sever the dough completely. This will help you break the scones apart when they are done, and will also help it to bake evenly. Whisk together the glaze ingredients. It should resemble a syrup. Add more powdered sugar if necessary. Use a pastry brush to paint glaze onto the dough, saving about half to brush over the baked scones. Bake for 45 at 350* or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with remaining glaze. Let cool for 1/2 an hour before eating. Enjoy!!!
Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment